Re: [Evolution] Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

Greg,

nobody is requiring you to use a web forum, the only time where you need to use it is the first time where you'd be configuring the tag you want to watch, in this case the evolution one. Once that has happened you'll get all the notifications sent via mail and you'll be able to respond directly from within your mail client like you do today, for anyone not familiar with the tagging process:

Tagging means adding a tag to a specific thread that is created to make sure it can easily be filtered out and most importantly it can easily be configured as a watcher (i.e the process that allows you to receive an email when a new email / response has been added to a thread). Our Discourse instance already has a tag called "evolution", which can be used to tag a specific thread at creation time (or later on in the process) to make sure it gets properly filtered for contributors that are only interested in mc conversations. Each Discourse category comes with an email endpoint, let's say you want to create a new thread under the Applications category, you can send an email to the applications discourse gnome org email and it gets automatically posted to Discourse, like you do today with Mailman. In the background we can configure an automatic tag, that is whenever the Evolution or Evo (or anything you prefer) word is mentioned (similar to what happens today with Mailman list name tag on subjects) the "evolution" tag is automatically added to your thread, that eases consumption by your contributors which have watchers defined for the "evolution" tag.

I'm more than happy to work with you guys to ease this transition. But please keep in mind that nobody is forcing you to use a web forum, Discourse (NOT Discord) can also work as a plain mailing list (please see Andre's mail [1] around this), so don't be alarmed.

Thanks,

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2022-October/msg00144.html