Re: [Evolution] Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

On Thu, 2022-10-20 at 19:10 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

I am a moderator of the Evolution list, and this is the first I've
heard of this. I think that 10 days notice of such a radical change
is
not reasonable. Most people here, including myself, will have no
idea
what this is about.

poc - as a moderator of the list, do you see the "major burden in
managing lists spam".  It's not the first time I've seen something be
shutdown with an excuse of "the spam, the spam, we can't cope".
Surely
spam tagging is a mature process these days.

Spam moderation is not a big problem on this list, mainly (I think)
because it's a subscriber-only list and spam is almost always trapped
by the list manager, both by checking membership and by using a
Bayesian filter. Moderators get notice of anything held for approval
and deal with it via a web interface, but it usually amounts to at most
2 or 3 cases per day, so not a big deal.

(This, by the way, is how non-member posts get to the list; a moderator
has to approve them).

There are currently 3 moderators: myself, Andre Klapper and Adam Tauno
Williams. Note that we have no control over the actual list hosting,
i.e. we are not list admins.

I imagine the spam problem might be greater on some other lists,
especially those that accept posts from non-members.

poc