Re: [Evolution] Have I pushed Evolution beyond where it is designed to go?

On the new platform, with the data imported (and all the data is
there) only a day after I imported it, it no longer displayed any new
mail.

It says there is new mail via a notification popup, but there is
nothing in the inbox or anywhere else.

How do you retrieve the mail into Evolution from your server?

Are you sure you don't have a search active?

Please look at Help -> Contents -> Common mail questions
                                 -> I cannot see some emails ...

Every once and a while I got a UID error message about a problem, but
it wasn't all the time.

What is the error message?  This sort of implies you use POP.

I used apt to remove the package. I deleted the folders, and then
deleted the trash, rebooting the PC immediately after that.

Re-installing rarely solves problems.

Which folders did you delete?  You need to remove all the configuration
as well as the actual mails. The locations of everything is in the Help
system.

Do you still have the PST files?  Rather than moving things from the VM
can you just re-import the PST files.

I really wanted Evolution to work. It is now the repository for all I
have done in these last thirty years, but unless there is a way to
fix what ails this program, while it allowed me to make the move off
Windows, it is now only a vault for old emails and that is not good.

A possible route is to install an IMAP server on your mail server - I
run Exim & Dovecot on single CPU VMs and it barely registers a load
level.  Then connect the Evolution on the VM to that server and copy
everything on to IMAP. Then on your "real" Evolution, just set it up to
use IMAP and leave it like that. Your mail will then be stored on the
server and you don't need to worry about overloading. Your incoming
mail server will be able to put mail directly into the IMAP server's
data store - and Hey Presto! you've got a resilient setup and you can
use multiple clients to get at your mail.

But I will just add that your level of mail is easily handled by
Evolution.  There should not be any limit that you will be able to
reach so long as your mail store is set to Maildir which has been the
default for a long time.

P.