Re: [Evolution] How does Evolution open a URL in a new tab in firefox?

Please don't reply to me, please reply only to the list.

On Sat, 2022-03-12 at 11:37 -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 2022-03-12 at 19:08 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

Evolution (or the others) don't actually do it themselves. They
use
xdg-open which opens whatever in the users preferred
application.
So
something like

  xdg-open http://www.gnome.org

Thanks for the explanation. That works from my command line, but
doesn't work in kalarm.

If it works from the command line, then it really should work
anywhere.
Is the command in kalarm executed as your own username?

According to "ps -ef | grep xdg" it is. There are several "xdg"
programs running:

/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal
/usr/libexec/xdg-document-portal
/usr/libexec/xdg-permission-store
/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
/usr/bin/xdg-dbus-proxy

There are also instances of the last one being run by /usr/bin/bwrap

The parent process of the instance of firefox started by kalarm is
systemd.

OK, but I asked if the process that is started by kalarm is owned by
you.

But if kalarm uses the systemd timers, then it won't be executed as
part of your desktop environment so it probably can't know that you
already have an instance of firefox running.

P.