Re: [Evolution] Can't open Evolution [SOLVED]

--
Tim McConnell
(205) 434-5534

On Sat, 2022-03-12 at 13:32 -0600, Tim McConnell wrote:

On 3/12/22 6:57 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 18:42 -0800, Van Snyder wrote:

How does Evolution open a URL in a new tab in firefox?

I can't do it from the command line. Online discussion says to use
the "--new-tab" command-line option, but firefox always puts up a
window saying it's already running, and inviting me to create a new
profile.

I have other applications for which Id like to open a new tab (or
new
window), not start another instance of firefox, such as kalarm.

Dolphin can do it too. Nautilus can do it.

How does Evolution (or dolphin or nautilus) do it?

Evolution (or the others) don't actually do it themselves. They use
xdg-open which opens whatever in the users preferred application. So
something like

  xdg-open http://www.gnome.org

will open the wewbsite in your preferred browser using the configured
mechanism (new window, new tab, etc.).  This applies to not just URLs
-
it works for files - give it a .docx file, it will open LibreOffice,
give it an image, it will open gimp etc. etc.

P.

Okay so here's what happened with xdg-open , I tried gnome.org and it
opens perfectly in Firefox. Same with the gmail url. It's a Net
install from the debian site so no Flatpack etc . It 's using LVM as
a file system . I ran df --inodes (thank you Ralph for the link) and
the IUse shows 1%, so not out of INodes .
I ran df /tmp
 Filesystem                     1K-blocks     Used Available Use%
Mounted on
 /dev/mapper/debianTim--vg-root 958307472 33672848 875881576   4% /
So I think I have plenty of room there.
tried adding the file Pete suggested. And I now can open Evolution.
Finally :)