Re: [Evolution] Chinese characters shown instead of Swedish at the receiver å / ä / ö

On 2022-03-09 at 06:35 +0000, Sorin Srbu wrote:
According to various sources from Google I searched yesterday, some say
Office365 does occasionally do some unnecessary conversions that may break
the text encoding if a 3rd party mail client is used. Be that as it may,
I'll take your advice and run with Unicode UTF-8 for a while and see what
the recipients at work have to say.

Will report back in a while with results.
Thanks all for now!

I thought the error happened every time?

I would send test emails both to your colleagues and someone out of the
company.
The email header should be converted into rfc2047 encoded form,* which
contain the used charset. This is independent of the body charset. The
email body could be in utf and the subject in iso-8859-1 It could even
mix several charsets in the same header.

Of course, if it's not just the subject that needs to contain an å but
e.g. also one of the recipient names, it may take a bit more to find
all the missing pieces.

Plus, Exchange/Office365 sometimes likes to mess with the contents, and
thus, for extra fun it could be that it is changing your email when
sending / showing it.

Best regards

* There is rfc 6531/6532, but I'm pretty sure Office365 isn't using it.

PS: regarding having dates and times in a different locale, you may
wish to set LC_TIME to a different value than the default one for the
rest of the system.