Re: [Evolution] Evolution doesn't show google contacts categories any more

Il giorno mar, 21/06/2022 alle 12.06 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-
list ha scritto:
The problem is on the Google side.

They deprecated the Contacts API, which used to be used in the past,
thus the evolution-data-server switched to the Google's CardDAV
interface, which is more standardized. Unfortunately, the Google
doesn't export all the properties/labels to the CardDAV interface,
thus
some information is missing with compare to the Contacts API.

thank you Milan, this seems to me a real trouble and I am wondering if
it's the same for other users, because I use the categories at least
for two usual important tasks:

- (maybe obvious) to get a sublist of people (i.e. Team colleagues,
tennis friends, restaurants...) and call them one by one, for example

- to send email to groups of people tagged by the category field (new
message ->  click on "To:" -> select the category which belong people
I would like to write to, and add all to the list on the right side).
I don't know if that's the best way or there are other options, any
suggestion is very welcome.

Apart from that, as far as I understand it's all in google's hands and
we don't have any option at the moment to see labels exported into the
CardDAV interface, or are we aware there is any kind of plan for it in
the future?

And, finally, I am thinking about adding all the categories to the
contacts shown in evolution to reflect the google labels (>2k
contacts, and some dozens of categories... I can do it manually
(argh!), but could there be any semi-automated way?). This would lead
to duplicated and not consistent data, and what if in the future
google extends the CardDAV interface?

Thank you,
Bye
Andrea