Re: [Evolution] unable to save read port

Thanks Pete,

changing the encryption type changes the port at the same time, so that is working.  it is being saved.  change both the imap and smtp settings to use the TLS.

reading the mail is still not working.  keeps popping up the password entry form.   I know the password is correct as i used it to get to yahoo mail via firebird on the centos box.  I retyped the password numerous times.   I tried using the full email address and just the email without the domain.  I tried changing the imap to imaps.  all attemps fail the same.

this is what yahoo says it should be set to.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

  • Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

  • Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

  • Email address - Your full email address (name domain com)
  • Password - Generate App Password
  • Requires authentication - Yes

soo..  no email yet...

As far as stable OS's go, the work uses rhel (centos), that is what I chose.  I will happily listen to others views on stable OS.

Kevin

On Sunday, July 3, 2022, 05:49:38 PM CDT, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

On Sun, 2022-07-03 at 21:04 +0000, Kevin T via evolution-list wrote:
> All,
>
> I just downloaded a centos 8 stream and installed on an older linux
> box that I had been using as a server.
>
> It installed, loaded and started exactly I had expected.
>
> I logged in as me, the only user.
>
> The very first thing I wanted to do is setup email.  I started
> evolution and went through the setup steps, via the gui.  I set it
> up, or so I thought, for yahoo mail.   Attempting to populate my
> inbox failed, with a server access message.  I checked everything and
> the port selection was still the default value, 143, even though I
> changed it to value that yahoo mails wants, which is 993.
>
> I changed it to 993 and said "OK" on the gui.  I killed evolution and
> restarted it.   It still wouldn't read the mail and the port value
> had gone back to 143.  I searched but could not find a textual file
> in the .config/evolution directory, with these values in it.  I tried
> a number of gyrations, sequences of changing, killing, restarting and
> nothing would allow the port setting to remain as needed.
>
> what can i do to fix this?

Port 143 is IMAP, port 993 is IMAPS. So make sure you set the
Encryption method to "TLS on a dedicated port". If it is set to "No
encryption" or "STARTTLS", then for both those the (at least initial)
port is 143.

I suspect that if you had chosen anything other 993, it would have
stuck, but would be wrong.  993 definitely requires an SSL encrypted
connection.

> ps  how do I search this mailing list for posts like this?

At the bottom of every post there's a link to the mailing list admin:

and from there is an link to the archives that you can search:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/

Also, in the Help within Evolution, there's a section entitled "How to
get help" and there's a link in there to the mailing list and archives
as well.

> pss sad state of affairs when the very first task, in a stable OS,
> fails.

A discussion elsewhere would probably argue with you that CentOS Stream
isn't a stable OS - but this isn't the place for it - however, I
suspect that Evolution in it is stable.

P.