[Evolution] unable to save read port

All,

I just downloaded a centos 8 stream and installed on an older linux box that I had been using as a server.

It installed, loaded and started exactly I had expected.

I logged in as me, the only user.

The very first thing I wanted to do is setup email.  I started evolution and went through the setup steps, via the gui.  I set it up, or so I thought, for yahoo mail.   Attempting to populate my inbox failed, with a server access message.  I checked everything and the port selection was still the default value, 143, even though I changed it to value that yahoo mails wants, which is 993.

I changed it to 993 and said "OK" on the gui.  I killed evolution and restarted it.   It still wouldn't read the mail and the port value had gone back to 143.  I searched but could not find a textual file in the .config/evolution directory, with these values in it.  I tried a number of gyrations, sequences of changing, killing, restarting and nothing would allow the port setting to remain as needed.

what can i do to fix this?

ps  how do I search this mailing list for posts like this?
pss sad state of affairs when the very first task, in a stable OS, fails.
psss, sending this on the windows box via the yahoo mail web interface, which I dislike.

Kevin