Re: [Evolution] Evolution 3.38.3-1 crash

On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 13:05 -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
Of course, I can't reproduce the message here, because evolution
crashes when it tries to open it. I had to be very quick to delete
it, but I eventually succeeded in being able to use evolution again.

        Hi,
Evolution may disable the message preview when it realizes it crashed,
but if it did not for you for some reason, then:

  $ evolution --disable-preview

can help.

The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 163258 error_code 9 request_code 139 (RENDER)
minor_code 4)
To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

The backtrace you provided has missing debug symbols, it's not much
useful. It only shows that the application crashed when gtk3 was
drawing the content, calling WebKitGTK with it, which calls cairo.
Knowing versions of these libraries would help.

Did you try to follow the instructions from the crash message (quoted
above), please? I'm afraid you'd need to install debuginfo packages at
least for gtk3/gdk3 and ideally also cairo and glib2 and evolution-
data-server with evolution (even the last two are not part of the
provided backtrace). I won't install debuginfo package for the
WebKitGTK, it's just too large.

Having that installed just run Evolution under gdb and get the
backtrace and then backtrace for all threads, to see what it does. The
command might look like this:

   $ GDK_SYNCHRONIZE=1 gdb --batch evolution --ex "b gdk_x_error" \
        --ex r --ex bt  --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

Please check the output for any private information, like passwords,
email addresses, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

        Bye,
        Milan