Re: [Evolution] Potential Issue caused by Update

Ok, It is Wayland. Prior to the recent update to 3.44.4 everything was running fine using Wayland but mailto is no go on Wayland now. Tried a fourth device that never had Evolution on it with a fresh install of Flatpak and mailto didn't work. I swapped over to X11 (which I should have done WAYYYY sooner due to the display server) and mailto works properly with some canberra gtk errors in the terminal. Swapped my Pop OS device to x11 after a reboot and mailto works again. So definitely a Wayland issue on the latest build. May just have to live with it since I use fractional scaling.

-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Crha via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Potential Issue caused by Update
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 18:16:40 +0200

On Wed, 2022-08-24 at 17:17 +0200, Michael Kenny via evolution-list
wrote:
Chrome does not like something in the latest Flatpak of Evolution.

        Hi,
as had been said earlier, the error about the display:

Failed to initialize gtk+: Cannot open display:

is the clue. You said it works fine everywhere else, thus this is a
problem in the way the Chrome runs the Evolution. It can be it runs it
in an environment where the DISPLAY variable is missing. I do not
understand why it's doing that for the Flatpak and not for the native
app, but it can be just another (Flatpak?) quirk somewhere under the
hood. Maybe flatpak package had been updated? Or the new build hardened
some flags, hard to guess.

With respect of getting the older version of the Evolution from the
Flathub.org, you can get list of the available versions with:

   $ flatpak remote-info flathub org.gnome.Evolution// --log | more

which gives you a list of the commits and you pick one and then apply
it with:

   $ flatpak update --commit ID org.gnome.Evolution

thus for example to revert to the 3.44.3 release you run:

   $ flatpak update --commit c7a8d2741616cefb7faa53bbd8ec2ae27a20244e5cadbecff2dc82416b36f8d2 org.gnome.Evolution

Hope it helps.
        Bye,
        Milan