Re: [Evolution] Annoyance: Intermittently messages refuse to categorize themselves as read

On Tue, 2022-08-23 at 09:23 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 22:21 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
When I read new email, sometimes the earliest of the unread messages
keeps calling itself unread even after I've looked at it.

        Hi,
is there any pattern which messages that are, like an unread message,
which had been auto-selected after you entered the folder?

I've been trying unsuccessfully for a long time to find a reproduction sequence for
this intermittent. Here are some "hunches":

* It's usually the first message in the list of unreads, and yes, it very well might
be the one highlighted by Evolution itself.

* But it doesn't always happen. Following your logic, perhaps the times it doesn't
happen is when the auto-selection falls on something I viewed earlier. Such auto-
selection on earlier viewed messages happens all the time.

Is the
message still marked as unread when you keep reading it,

Yes.

or it's marked
read after the set interval,

No.

but when you move away from the folder
and return back to it the message is marked unread again?

It never gets itself marked as read, at least during the time I'm watching it.
Obviously eventually it does, or I'd have hundreds of unreads. Again, this is
intermittent, so it's hard to articulate a symptom with complete confidence.

I suppose this is an IMAP account you see it with.

Yes it is. It's my local Dovecot IMAP server. If I knew more about IMAP, perhaps I
could go in and look at the message in Dovecot itself. One thing I could do right
now is open my IMAP with Claws-Mail and see whether Claws Mail considers it unread.
That would narrow the root cause scope to some degree. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks,

SteveT