Re: [Evolution] Take Evolution offline from a bash script?

On Mon, 2021-10-18 at 12:24 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Fri, 2021-10-15 at 15:37 -0600, larry wrote:
I want to back up Evolution mail using a cron job.
I want to use tar, but I would prefer that files in the
evolution/mail don't change while it's happening.
I guess you foresee a manual backup, not to use the backup utility
provided by the Evolution itself, hidden under the File-
Backup/Restore Evolution settings menu options, right?

Right.

Is there any way to take it offline, then back online from a bash
script?
The offline more works only for the Mail part. All the other parts
are not touched.

It also appears that --offline and --online are only for starting
Evolution. Just tried 'evolution --offline' and got:

(evolution:247144): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 09:40:12.295: Your application
did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using
g_application_run().

The `evolution --quit` is there to quit the application, if it's
running. This doesn't cover the background processes, it's only for
the Evolution itself. You probably noticed it when checking either
the man page or the `evolution --help` page.

Right.

Back to the provided backup/restore utility, even it's not meant to
be used as a daily backup tool, it's there to make it easier to move
settings between machines (it also doesn't store the files in the
~/.cache/, because those are meant to be local copies of the server
data, thus can be reloaded on the new machine from the server), then
it can be used as well.

I don't leave email on the server. I am running POP, not IMAP (if that
matters).

 The main advantage is that it takes care of all the steps with the
background processes, if possible (it cannot catch a state when some
other process starts the background processes while the
backup/restore is ongoing). See:
   $ /usr/libexec/evolution/evolution-backup --help
An example call to backup can be:
   $ /usr/libexec/evolution/evolution-backup --backup
/mnt/backup/evo-backup-X.tar.gz

OK... but if I am not backing up Evolution with the built-in backup,
that won't happen. Right?

The extension of the target file can also be .tar.xz, which does
better compression than the .tar.gz, but it takes longer. The backup
prints on the console what it does.

I am using tar.gz, and get no console output, presumably because I run
it with cron. Currently, my backup generates a 500MiB or so file, and
takes a little over 6 minutes. That's backing up .local/share/evolution

I will soon be modifying my script to back up only
.local/share/evolution/mail
and
.local/share/evolution/addressbook

If you still want to use manual backup, then I suppose you know what
to save. Just in case, it's written here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

That's an interesting list.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I need .cache, and I think
the various .config directories can be easily regenerated by deleting
them all and restarting Evolution.

Thanks for the help.

Larry