[Evolution] Signature not appended

I have a small script to invoke fortune, which I am attempting to use to append a signature to my emails.
The script:
$ cat ~/bin/mySignature
#!/bin/bash
echo "<div>-- </div>"
echo "<p>Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh pacbell net</p>"
echo "<pre>"
/home/jonrysh/bin/myFortune
echo "</pre>"

I have set up a signature in
evolution->edit->preferences->Composer Preferences->Signature
to invoke this script.  When I select the script by selecting "mySignature" in the choice box, typical output shows up in the preview box, e.g.:
<pre>
		Windows NT crashed.
		I am the Blue Screen of Death.
		No one hears your screams.
</pre>

However no signature is ever appended.  Am I setting things up wrong, or is this a bug?

System setup:
Evolution version 3.38.4 (3.38.4-1.fc33)
KDE Frameworks 5.79.0
Fedora Linux 33

Thanks - jon