Re: [Evolution] Problem setting up iCloud account in Evolution - Folder parse error

It's not that I'm skeptical - I worked at Apple for 14 years.

So...I know exactly what they will and won't do as far as support is concerned, and how they will go about doing (or not doing) it.

Thankfully(?) I have a couple of iOS devices that I'm testing with.  One - an old iPhone 4s running iOS 9 - works fine.  So, it's of no use.

The other is a first generation iPod.  As it is so old, it has to be set up manually for Mail access per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304 :

  • Use iCloud settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 or later.

  • It's running iOS 3.1.3, so it won't auto-configure.

    Mail is currently failing on the Gen One iPod.  SCORE!

    As it is an Apple device, they will at least talk to me about it as opposed to, "your device is third-party; Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products."

    By attempting to force them to support their First Gen iOS device, this may be the pebble that starts the avalanche.  I'll begin working with them Friday (it will probably take all day on the phone with them to get nowhere, so I need to set aside a whole day to be on the phone with them).  I don't hold out much hope - the good folks at Evolution will have far better luck - but at least I am in a position to be the squeaky wheel.

    Oh, and I also tested the iCloud settings in Claws and the bundled email client with Elementary OS (I believe it is a fork of Geary); both failed.

    Wish me luck for Friday...

    KS