[Evolution] evolution: settings not retained, external editor, pane resize

Hi All,

I am trying to switch to evo from tb.  System: fedora 28, fvwm.  evolution: 3.28.5 (3.28.5-3.fc28)

I start as (I read somewhere that if you don't use gnome, you must start it as following):
eval \'gnome-keyring-daemon\'
export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
evolution

I've few issues:

1. I remove/uncheck show buttons and TO DO pane, and they go away as expected. But the settings
     are not remembered on next start. Both show up again when I quit evo and restart.

2. I enable external editor (reason for the switch to evo), and select gvim, and it seems to save it.
    When I go to compose, and external editor, it still brings up gedit. When I go back and look at the
     plug in again, I see it changed to gedit from gvim. I see no warnings on the xterm, and I can't seem
     to find a verbose mode/log for details on why. gvim is installed, and I can run it from xterm. I also
     tried /bin/gvim -f instead of just "gvim -f"

3. The folder pane is too wide, my folder names are only few letters. I am able to drag and make it
     bigger, but not smaller. I tried  ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css following:
            EMailSidebar.view {
                   width: 10px;
             }

      I tried several values, but nothing! Anyway, I can make that work.

Thanks for all the help. I am not subscribed to the list, so kindly include me in To or CC.

-M