Re: [Evolution] Address Book not Restoring

On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 00:41 -0500, BC via evolution-list wrote:
Not only no contacts, but I cannot even import older vcf files or csv
files into it.

        Hi,
it looks like you've 3.30.5 (according to the message headers). It's
preferred to claim what version you have, because things get fixed (or
broken) in the time. It would be also nice to know what version of
Evolution was in your previous installation. Being it a newer version,
the backup may not always work, due to changes in the format of the
saved data.

I do not recall any problem with the import or the contacts in 3.30.x.
When you say "cannot import", what does that mean, please? Is there any
error message? If not in the GUI (I think only later versions show
errors from import in the GUI), then try to run evolution from a
terminal and see whether there's anything shown.

You did not say what address book type you use. Is it On This
Computer/Personal, or any remote, or...? If it's the Personal, then
check the contents and privileges to
  ~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db
or the directory with that file as such. You can run the address book
factory (before you run Evolution) from a terminal, to see whether it
prints anything there. The command is:

   $ /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w

though your distribution can have it installed elsewhere.

If that won't help, then there are ways to extract the contacts from
the database file as a .vcf and import it (possibly to a newly created
addressbook). I'll left this as the second step, in case the above
would not help.

        Bye,
        Milan