Re: [Evolution] Migrating from Thunderbird via import without duplicates

On Wed, 2020-10-28 at 18:25 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Maybe a better question to the entire community would be how do you
keep regularly scheduled backups of your mail? For self-hosted
servers its a no-brainer, but for gmail accounts or other cloud
hosted accounts, I'm really at a loss as to why I cannot find a
standard way of doing this.

Well gmail is "backed up" - or rather nothing is ever deleted or

removed and there are multiple copies in data centres around the world.

All other mail providers should also back up things for disaster

recovery and anything that uses AWS or O365 will be in a similar

position to gmail.

Obviously it's not theoretically impossible for Google to suddenly lose
all of its data centres, but I don't consider that to be something I
need to spend my time thinking about. Over ten years ago I persuaded my
university to switch to Google for handling mail, because the cost and
effort of doing it ourselves was rapidly overwhelming our meagre
resources and we simply couldn't keep up with the community's demands,
and of course for an educational institution G Suite (now Google
Workplace) was free.

There may be extra-technological reasons for not doing that, such as
regulatory requirements, suspicion of the provider etc., and of course
Google is not the only option, but in our circumstances I consider that
to have been an unqualified success.

poc