Re: [Evolution] Yahoo IMAP stopped working ... again

On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 17:41 -0600, J.B. Nicholson wrote:

Such prices are not reasonably responded to with "a good solution for
rich people" and don't require you to sign up for being constantly
geolocated via a tracker/mobile.

Hi,

Yahoo/Rocketmail doesn't require me to sign up to be constantly
geolocated via a tracker/mobile.

To continue using old Yahoo/Rocketmail accounts with Evolution or other
email clients, users only need to replace their old passwords, by
passwords generated by Yahoo.

I'm using one Yahoo and two Rocketmail (Rocketmail is Yahoo, too)
addresses with Linux desktop PC email clients, one of them is Evolution
and I don't own a cellphone at all.

While I don't advocate for Yahoo, one of the reasons is that you
nowadays likely need a cellphone to sign up, in all fairness speaking,
you don't need to pay for it, at least not with money or by providing
other data, than everybody provides anyway by email headers whatever ISP
is used or the message body of unencrypted emails.

Most free as in beer services and all solutions you need to pay for, as
yours, require to provide at least to give away some private data,
either a cellphone number or bank details.

My latest email account doesn't require to give away such data:

"[snip] We do not require you to sign up with a phone number or personal
information. Instead, we rely on invite codes. [snip]

There is no such thing as free email. Services like Gmail, Hotmail, and
Yahoo make their money from surveillance: they build a profile on your
behavior and your desires and then bombard you with advertising
specifically targeted to you.

Riseup is different. This service is a labor of love by activists like
you committed to building movement-run and secure alternative
infrastructure.

The Riseup email service takes a lot of time and money to keep running,
and is funded entirely by small donations from its users. Please do your
part and contribute today." - https://riseup.net/en/email

Btw. I don't see any advertisings when using my Yahoo accounts. They do
not send emails with advertisings. I neither use a Yahoo app, nor the
web interface. However, they much likely watch my traffic and much
likely even spy email bodies, as the payed services by Telefónica
Germany GmbH & Co. OHG I'm using most likely do, too. At least some of
the bills where wasted with advertisements and from time to time the
company is taken over by another company. When I signed the contract
years ago the company's name wasn't Telefónica.

Regards,
Ralf