Re: [Evolution] Message filters not playing sounds

Hello,

sorry for the long quiet.
I had checked and did have the sound theme turned off. Also the sound of evolution was turned off (repo included mail notification plugin).
The sound of the mail notification plugin does play with every mail, but the mail filter intended sound does not play.
The current version of evolution is 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 on Linux Mint 20.

Logs for that matter:
Reported 1 recent messages in 'user inside lab : Incoming'
2020-11-11 20:48:14 - Applied filter "important mails" to message from user test <user outside lab> - "testsubject"
   Message source '04626bb5f2b61319e291551472b0aa3268e5f5de' does match requested source '04626bb5f2b61319e291551472b0aa3268e5f5de'
   Header 'From' value ' user test <user outside lab>' does match 'user outside lab'
   Finished test of message uid:AAMkAGU1ZTeiZWZiLTU2N2YtNDgyMi04MTRjLWM5NGY5NmE5NDdiNgBGAAAAAAA8yS1sIIbdSLGXuyOi0qBqBwD62kfhvwC/S7J7ukSNK0BVAAAACE+BAABNep1ucgLnSIEaPJAntZ8fAAGbvshDAAA= subject:'testsubject' from 'user inside lab : Incoming' as MATCHED
   Filter 'important mails' matched

Action: Set label to orange_color
Action: Play sound

Rule description:
important mails (enabled, for account user inside lab)
   If any of the following conditions are met
      Sender contains user outside lab
   Then
      Set Label orange_color
      Play Sound /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

Best regards,

Gaya

_________________
Hi,
Evolution uses libcanberra to play sound files. Looking into the code,
trying it here and by adding some error reporting I see the difference
between the filter and the mail notification. The mail notification
uses its own context, while the filter sound uses the gtk context. The
gtk context can have disabled sound in the system Preferences, which
happened to me here. When I enable theme sounds the sound is played
correctly. Similarly with the Beep, it relies on the system sound theme
being enabled.

I'll change the filter sound to not use the gtk context and I'll add
also some debug prints to make debugging easier.
        Bye,
        Milan