Re: [Evolution] Silent fail in vcf import to Personal

On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 03:01 -0500, Mike via evolution-list wrote:
Failing silently without any feedback to the user makes it extremely
difficult for new users to migrate to Evolution.  Either this is a
longstanding problem which is being ignored, or I have something very
quirky with my setup.

My configuration:
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia,  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Evolution: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

        Hi,
I initially thought that there's also the third option, using too old
Evolution (3.28.5 had been released on 2018-07-30, thus almost two
years ago; the current stable is 3.36.2), but then I briefly checked
the source code and there is not much error checking with vCard import,
which makes your first option to be valid.

Would you mind to file a bug against Evolution at [1], please? That
will help to not make it forgotten.

I've not much idea what would fail on import to the Personal address
book, especially if you can add contacts to it in the Contacts view
(File->New->Contact reports errors properly).

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new