Re: [Evolution] Filter problems when running shell command...

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 14:13 +0200, DrOteonu wrote:
On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 17:11 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Patrick - my replies inline:

The log shows that the script is being called, so the problem isn't
with Evolution but with the script itself.

However, isn't this in the end still some problem/bug in Evolution?
Shouldn't it work? For example, if I define shortcut keys in Gnome (on
Ubuntu 19.10) to execute shell commands in the same way, they always
work, without exception.

 I would check that the
script always has access to the right output channel when it's run.
This could fail randomly if Evo calls it asynchronously (via the
filter) but wouldn't fail if being called synchronously (from the
command line). That's just a guess as I don't know how Evo actually
does this.

do you know who would know this in detail? Executing external scripts
is a crucial feature for me.

Milan would know, or any of the developers.

IOW I think you need to put some logging into the script itself.

I tried this:
(begin script)
echo "\\n\\nI was called at $(date)" >>
~/temp/received_mail_from_john.log
espeak "Why am I only read out loud sometimes, and not always?" >>
~/temp/received_mail_from_john.log 2>&1
(end script)

When quoting scripts it's really important to respect line breaks. If
that is literally the script you have, then there's a syntax error
after both of the '>>' redirects, but you say it works when called with
Ctrl-Y so it's hard to diagnose by guessing what it really looks like.
Please send it again using the Preformatted drop-down menu item in the
composer. I would also try it with only the 'echo', i.e. without the
espeak call, and see what happens.

poc