Re: [Evolution] REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 02:55 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 22:38 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded.
Some

"Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such
for

ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a
notion

of mailing lists and mailing list addresses.

AFAIK this only happens when Evo sees a message with the List-*
headers
which many (but not all) lists add to distributed messages. These
headers will not be there on new messages you send to a list (i.e. on
your copy of the sent message), only to correctly-formatted replies
(meaning those which were sent using Reply-To-List and not for
example
Reply-To-All).

Ironically, your reply illustrates my point perfectly. It doesn't
contain any of the List-* headers, presumably because you used Reply-
To-All instead of Reply-To-List. That's exactly the problem. There's
nothing in the message itself to indicate that it has anything to do
with a mailing list. Note that this also means that I also have to use
Reply-To-All to answer you, and so does anyone else downstream of your
message. The same thing happened with my previous reply of course.

Yes, that's the problem here.

In the "Message" menu,

there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with

mailing list folders.

It has nothing to do with mailing list folders. Although many people
filter mailing list messages into folders for convenience, Evo
doesn't
treat these folders as in any way special (though I've often thought
that would be a nice feature to have). That menu item is enabled when
you're looking at a message with the List-* headers, that's all.

I see. So, evo would need to keep a register of the mailing list names
(List-to or similar header) and the corresponding email addresses, for
all messages it sees. Of course I'm not requesting this.

It would require a fair amount of modification to do this. I'm
imagining some kind of "This is a mailing list" feature which could
possibly incorporate automatic filtering into folders plus enabling the
posting and reply functions. However it's not clear how this could be
implemented across all types of mail account, e.g. POP accounts don't
even have the notion of a folder - everything goes to the Inbox. It
looks like a can of worms and I wouldn't like to propose it without a
clearer idea of how it could work.

poc