Re: [Evolution] Query about editing quoted text in Plain Text mode

On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 14:10 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
My current query is:

Is editing of quoted text in the Plain Text mode used?

Yes, I use that a bit, to only quote relevant parts in my reply.

What do you expect from it?

Tomas Popela (continued the work started by Dan Vratil) did a great job
in preserving the behavior as close as possible to what users were used
to from times of GtkHTML, where editing text in quotation kept the
quote character ('>') at the beginning of the line when the paragraph
text had been changing. That's fairly complex code to maintain, thus
I'm thinking of dropping it, instead of rewriting it in JavaScript.
Without it the quote characters would be there, but they will be like
any other text, possible to edit/remove and so on. They would be
switched to 'blockquote' when changing format to HTML and back to quote
character on change to Plain Text mode.

Ah. I'd say it's fine to simplify and it even might remove some bugs.
My replies will probably end up with more lines that look like
This is
a quoted sentence which I'd usually edit to take two instead of
three lines
but I think that's acceptable. :)

I do edit quoted text myself, mostly to correct wrapping and to split
the quoted text into parts, under which I write my comments.

Same here.

I sometimes create my own quoted part just
by adding the quote character at the beginning of the line.

Same here.

Cheers,
andre
--