Re: [Evolution] general shortcut for new email

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 15:29 -0500, Anil Felipe Duggirala via evolution-
list wrote:
that is to compose a new email without executing the full Evolution
program.

        Hi,
Evolution is started, it only opens the composer immediately, thus it's
not noticed it's running in the background. In case another Evolution
is running, the composer is opened in it, instead of keeping running
two instances at the same time.

For example Nautilus does something like this when I select a file
and do Send to, it opens up the compose window without the need for
opening up Evolution itself.

The only thing you want to do is to execute a mailto: URI, which will
use the program you've configured to handle it. Something like:

   $ xdg-open mailto:user@no.where?subject=Hello\&body=world

does just that. The above fills a To: address, Subject: and Body. You
can omit everything after the question mark to just open the composer
with prefilled To:, aka:

   $ xdg-open mailto:user@no.where

Can I map a keyboard shortcut to do this in general.

As long as your desktop environment allows to assign shortcuts to run
programs (possibly through .desktop files), then yes, you can.

        Bye,
        Milan