Re: [Evolution] [still not solved] Folder icon

Hi,

On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 07:39 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
By the way, what is so bad (or irritating?) on that folder icon for
you?

icons have their meanings as words have their meanings, too. Why should
I want a folder highlighted with a wrong meaning?

I'm using POP accounts only and if I pkill Evolution processes nothing
restarts any process. I do not use a desktop environment. I'm using a
windows manager only and especially avoid installing unwanted GNOME
stuff, a prominent example for this approach is that I don't allow gvfs
to be installed, since it automatically wakes up green drives in standby
modus, so those drives spin down and up again and again, which damages
the drives. I don't know why I should want to install software (on a
real-time audio workstation), that restarts processes for no reason,
even if those processes do not damage hardware, they would cause
unnecessary load.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ps aux | grep evolution
rocketm+    1054  0.0  0.3 1082704 26796 ?       Ssl  Oct17   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-source-registry
rocketm+    1073  0.0  0.7 661456 60700 ?        Sl   Oct17   0:00
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-alarm-notify
rocketm+    1080  0.0  0.3 857672 30652 ?        Ssl  Oct17   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-calendar-factory
rocketm+    1089  0.0  0.3 675820 28192 ?        Ssl  Oct17   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-addressbook-factory
rocketm+   15312  0.0  0.0   7584  2576 pts/0    S+   08:18   0:00 grep evolution
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pkill evolution; sleep 2; ps aux | grep evolution; sleep 90; ps aux | grep
evolution
rocketm+   15336  0.0  0.0   7584  2488 pts/0    S+   08:20   0:00 grep evolution
rocketm+   15339  0.0  0.0   7584  2424 pts/0    S+   08:21   0:00 grep evolution
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$

If I would cheat on Evolution, then I'll create a new folder under On
This Computer, then go to Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences and
change there the default Archive folder (ehm, this is tricky, because
it crashes evolution, which I already fixed for 3.34.2+; workaround is
to create the folder, close evolution, open evolution), then delete
this new archive folder, thus the default Archive folder will point to
a non-existent folder. I won't advice this to anyone, though. Cleaner
workarounds would be either to point the Archive folder to some you
usually do not see, or to change the appearance of the folder, if you
really hate the icon.

While Evolution was running I added a new folder, then I made this
folder the account's archive folder.

$ grep Archive .config/evolution/sources/38d5f843eeab00fee18f592e1d8a2e23c71f978d.source
ArchiveFolder=folder://local/Trash_2

This works, even after deleting the folder "Trash_2" everything is still
ok. I closed Evolution and pkilled all remaining processes, then I
launched Evolution again and the icon still is a regular folder icon,
IOW the workaround does the job.

In a fit of curiosity I used the account editor to restore the defaults.
When doing so, it stays with the non-existent local/Trash_2 folder.

By the way ][, this is solved, because it is an intentional feature.
You are trying to "break" the feature.

I try to break the feature to give a folder a random icon?

Well, if you really pressed Ctrl+C, then it's not closing, but killing
it.

I first closed the Window of Evolution by a click on the close-i c o n
of the window title bar, then got the Error output, then I waited and
waited, but nothing happened, before I pushed Ctrl+C.

Regards,
Ralf