Re: [Evolution] Junk mail and Gmail

On Fri, 2019-03-15 at 06:31 +1300, Steve Edmonds wrote:

On 15/03/2019 00:01, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 23:02 +1300, Steve Edmonds wrote:
How and where exactly did you find out that messages have been junked?
Within 5 minutes of starting Evolution700+ emails with various labels
appear in the spam folder of Gmail.
Viewed in Gmail in Firefox, Thunderbird and Kmail. These are not new
emails but in existing folders.
Also happens with all configured accounts.
Evolution only does automatic junk processing for new messages. The
only circumstance in which it would do this for existing messages is if
you explicitly invoked it (e.g. right click->Mark as junk). Sounds like
there's something odd about your Gmail/IMAP setup. I use Gmail with
IMAP and leave all junk processing to Gmail, and have never had this
problem.

Is there some other process on your system that accesses your mailbox,
e.g. a "new mail" alert box or some kind of filter outside Evo?

No other process running, I also leave all junk processing to Gmail, or
want to.

When I installed Evolution processing incoming mail for junk is set ON.
I added my accounts and turned all junk processing off in Evolution.

I have noticed that with Evolution running, when there is junk in the
junk folder, if I go into my Gmail web interface and un-junk those mails
so the junk folder is empty then Evolution "syncs" that junk back into
the Gmail junk folder.
Wilth Thunderbird/Kmail, when there is junk in the junk folder, if I go
into my Gmail web interface and un-junk those mails so the junk folder
is empty then on syncing the junk folder on Thunderbird/Kmail becomes empty.

There is one configuration detail that may be different between us: I
don't have the Gmail Junk folder subscribed in Evolution IMAP, so Evo
never sees it. If I ever want to look at that folder (which I never do)
I'll use the web interface. This doesn't really answer the question but
might be a usable workaround.

I suspect there's an unwanted interaction between Gmail "folders"
(which aren't real folders but labels), and the IMAP interface which
presents them as folders. The difference is that a message in Gmail may
have multiple labels. If that happens, IMAP (and Evo) will see each
folder with its own copy of the message, so the exact effect of moving
them around may give unexpected results. I'm not sure how this would
cause the problem you're seeing, but it might be the place to start
looking.

poc