Re: [Evolution] Dealing with huge imap accounts / best practise?

Oh, I am sorry. I just put the string "unique-search-subject1" into
the search bar, that's all. The mail to be found (and saved into one
of the subfolders previously by another mail client) had that exact
string as subject. The current problem is: That mail is found only
either when local caching is enabled (huge cache though) or the
subfolder with that mail in it is previously once clicked, thus
somehow cached I guess.

So you use dovecot.  The dovecot search plugin info says this:

   By default the FTS indexes are updated only while searching, so
   neither the LDA nor an IMAP APPEND command updates the indexes
   immediately.

(https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS)

So it certainly seems that just moving things around doesn't update the
dovecot index (but yes, doing the search should).  But there are lots
of options for the dovecot searching and indexing that you might like
to look at - it might even be that the FTS plugin isn't turned on.

As Milan said, use the Evolution debugging to see what the imap chatter
is - that will give you more insight into what's going on.

P.