Re: [Evolution] Evolution not listening to quit

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 00:21 +0200, Ángel wrote:
Rather than adding a check after every command, I would recommend simply
adding a call to set -e

#!/bin/bash -e

or what ever else, I only wanted to point out that a backup script
should be safe and somehow be able to either resolve issues or to stop,
instead of continuing with some kind of partial/broken backup.

and rather than those repeated lines, it can be done with a simple loop

From my point of view it doesn't matter if the OP does use a loop or
not, since it's unimportant regarding safeness. Depending on the
experience or inexperience in writing scripts, avoiding a loop even
could be the better approach.

although I would generally favor using a date-based filename, rather
than numeric ones, and let the user occasionally remove the old ones
if needed.

I share this backup strategy :). I'm in favour of adding something like
'$(date "+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S")' and instead of an automated backup remove
rotation approach, I prefer to manually keep or remove backups, too.

please note that $(( )) is not a feature in POSIX sh, so you would
need to change the shebancg from /bin/sh to /bin/bash

As pointed out by one of my previous reply, I strongly recommend to
explicitly mention the used shell. Btw. there are discussions about pros
and cons regarding #!/usr/bin/env bash. However, #!/bin/bash or
#!/bin/dash or what ever shell else, should be ok for almost all Linux
distros. Just using #!/bin/sh is a bad idea, since this nowadays usually
is a link against bash, but since dash is faster, some distros, that
might use an uncommon init system based upon startup scrips, might link
against dash, even if the login shell should default to bash.