Re: [Evolution] [OT / Meta] Evolution list as source of spam

On Wed, 2019-01-16 at 02:26 +0100, Ángel wrote:
For what it's worth… I am too receiving such msgid spam.

Prompted by this thread, I did some analysis on the origin of these
spams. Basically, extracting  *camel* > /tmp/spam-msgids.txt
sed -i "s/$/@bar>/;s/^/Message-ID: </" /tmp/spam-msgids.txt

Plus a bunch of fgrep -f /tmp/spam-msgids.txt -r .
and modifying that file with
cut -d: -f 3- /tmp/a | sort -u | sed 's#^M.*#sed -i "s/&/bash\t&/"
/tmp/spam-msgids.txt#e'

The original emails come from several lists and, I should note,
evolution list is *not* the one from which more message-ids were
harvested (only three email addresses, they stopped being sent spam on
2017).

poc mentioned the possibility that the emails were being harvested
from the archives. While GNOME lists don't directly link to a mbox
that would be easily findable to a naive email address crawler, I find
evidence that some of these spammers are using archives from somewhere
rather than subscribing a bot that adds people to the list on real
time.

For instance, there is the 727451.11377.1.camel "email address", which
is a truncation of 1459727451.11377.1.camel sent to a ietf list on
April 2016. The "short" email started being used on August *2018* for
"investing in your country" scams, and the long one… on December 2018.

I find unlikely that someone harvesting email addresses with a
subscribed bot would have waited several years before starting to
spam.

That's not always the case, obviously. A Dec 14 message-id started
getting spammed on Jan 1, and already "received" 84 spam mails by now.
However, a "sibling" message-id from that same list also started
getting spammed on Jan 1, but only a couple mails. (fwiw, the 86 mails
are from @qq.com addresses)

Interesting. I primarily see these coming from posts I make to the
Mailman and Debian lists.

This can be due to bots prepared for it, or, simply, that certain
archive of this list was crawled more often (or at the right time).
I would expect that if someone took the (not-that-big) effort of
building a subscription bot, he should at least get the email
addresses right!

It has been interesting to look at these spams, their use of
message-ids, given their role as identifiers, allows gathering some
interesting information that would not be possible without them
stupidly interpreting message-ids as if they were email addresses, and
cannot be used with normal addresses, that are generally used in more
contexts.

In the context of this discussion, I am including the email-like
strings 1547601230 4258 6 trap 16bits net as well as
1547601405 8896 3 trap 16bits net for the 'benefit' of those spambots
reading us. :)

;-)

-Jim P.