Re: [Evolution] X-evolution-account setting

On Wed, 2019-01-09 at 13:55 -0800, W Van Snyder wrote:
I looked at another message that I had sent.  I had copied it from my
"Sent" folder to one of my storage folders.

        Hi,
messages in the Sent folder, those which are saved there by Evolution,
are not the same messages as those passed to the SMTP server. The
message I sent earlier to this thread looks way differently in the Sent
folder here (it has less headers in general and plenty of X-EVOLUTION-
headers, including those I named earlier, but also a lot of other).

In addition to
X-evolution-account, it has

Where does my machine name (math.jpl.nasa.gov) come from?

The Message-ID is created by the client, in this case Evolution, and
the transport service is not supposed to touch it (that would break
threading headers and plenty of other things). There are various ways
how to generate it. The machine name is taken from your local host
name.

Recent Evolution uses domain part of the email address being used as
the From address instead, as you can see in my earlier message to this
thread. I could give links to several related changes in the code, but
your evolution is so old that it's useless for you (patches won't
apply). You have evolution 2.x, right? The latest stable is 3.30.4 at
the moment.

Are they still blowing hot air at me, or is it possible that my
computer's name appearing in Message-id is causing the DMARC problem?

I'm sorry, I do not know how this works. It only looks like your admins
are guessing a lot, though it might be unlikely. I do not know, I can
be wrong. They should know better how that all works and why it is
failing. I'd be surprised if a custom header X-EVOLUTION-* or
Message-ID would be a culprit here, but again, I've no idea how this
works.

Also, do you *know* that any X-EVOLUTION- header is passed to the SMTP
server, or you only *think* that? Those are two very different things.
I'd suggest to use SMTP logging to see what Evolution passes to the
server, but neither the recent version shows the message content (even
it has extended SMTP debugging).

By the way, did you try to send a message to the same recipient from
another client with exactly the same settings as you use in Evolution?
One of such clients can be Thunderbird, or Seamonkey Mail. If that'd
work, it might be interesting to see the differences.
        Bye,
        Milan