Re: [Evolution] About emoticons and colors (was: How to set the default text color)

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 00:01:19 +0200, Ángel wrote:
On 2019-08-16 at 21:50 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list wrote:
A few 😃?

If you communicate with the majority using HTML, than you better use
another MUA, since if you use Evolution, the averaged Windows
recipient
usually sees cut inline pictures and/or different font sizes, let
alone
that you should care about to install every crappy Windows font, to
see
all those special chars that are even not part of UTF8 [1].

I can view most of them just fine, without having Microsoft fonts
installed. They *are* part of Unicode
(and UTF-8 is a codification of Unicode, it doesn't define which
characters are mapped to which codepoint, just the way those codepoints
are formatted into bytes).

Everybody can view those similes, since UTF is standard nowadays,
that's the point of my mail. Lets use standards that are portable.

The case where you _would_ need a Windows font is when people include a
river or a smiley from Microsoft Outlook, which is in Windings font,
and if you don't have that installed you eg. see a “P” which is where
the font designers decided to put that picture.

Again, that's the point. IOW if somebody claims lets do what the
majority of users are doing, then where to stop? Why just using HTML?
Why not using anything that is as less portable as possible. IOW
install Linux, but don't forget to download Microsoft fonts, that are
good for absolutely nothing, apart from making emails less portable.

And while we are on it, why not breaking with RFC as much as possible?

If we want to share mails, they need to be portable, between all BSDs,
Apple, Microsoft, Android and Linux machines, excepted of smart phones,
since a minority of smart phone users is using email anyway and they are
wining about common sense of wrapping lines at around 72 chars.

The solution are plain text mails, UTF8, usage of non-proportional
fonts, line wrapping before sending at around 72 chars and last but not
least a minimum of RFC compliance.