Re: [Evolution] New user - please clarify Expunge

On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 13:22 +0100, James Freer via evolution-list
wrote:
proceeds to Folder > Expunge... and the message at the bottom saying
Expunging folder etc... seems to work ok. BUT when one scrolls
through mail, deleted mail appears at the top or bottom I noticed

        Hi,
Gmail is really special in many ways. Expunge is one of them. To have
message deletion working in Gmail over IMAP you need to have selected
their Trash folder as a real Trash folder in Evolution (in account
Properties->Defaults tab). Then, when you delete a message, it's
properly moved to their Trash folder where you can finally
(permanently) delete them. Without that associated real folder the
deletion may sometimes look like working, but the web UI may show a
different thing. This had been discussed here several times in the
past.

As you said, the All Mail folder is also quite special. I do not know
how much it adds to the problem. In contrast to you, I prefer the Inbox
folder over the All Mail folder (different people, different habits).
I've the All Mail folder disabled, because it would be quite large and
wasting disk space with more than 1/3M messages (I've no real numbers,
my largest folder has currently almost 190K messages, while I have
plenty of other folders, even not that large).
        Bye,
        Milan