[Evolution] Fwd: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Frank B <fbicknel gmail com>
Date: Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Gnome Evolution Archive function
To: Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>

Sorry, how incomplete of me:
3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

When I go to Preferences->Mail Preferences->Archive Mail, I only see folders under mail accounts. (same for defaults for any given email account, btw.)

I was hoping I could archive to my local machine instead of to a folder in my email account. That would drag the messages being archived out of email and put them on disk locally only. I'm guessing that's not possible, then?

You're right: after setting the default folder for the mail account, it archived my test folder immediately. Thanks for clearing that up.

Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

Please, could you always say which version of Evolution you are using -
things like this do change over time.  It would also be helpful in this
case that we knew what sort of account you are using.

> "On This Computer" and at my email address seem to conflict. Is there
> a way to archive to a local folder on my computer?

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences is where you set the default
archive folder for the "On This Computer" folders.  You can set the
folder to be anything you want (by clicking in the grey box and
selecting another folder).

For other accounts you can set the archive folder by going Edit ->
Preferences -> Mail Accounts -> select account -> Edit -> Defaults

You can also set the archive folder on a per folder basis.

> Finally, even with things set up this way... nothing seems to happen
> if I set up a mail folder to archive messages > 3 days old. Messages
> older than 3 days just keep smiling up at me from said folder.

Make sure the archive folder is set up in all the correct places for
the type of account.

P.