[Evolution] moving addresses from place to place?

I am encountering a lot of roadblocks when it comes to relocating email
addresses. For reasons that do not seem to be covered in the help docs,
I can tap "COPY" in one spot, (example - the "cc:" field of a
previously sent message) for a batch of addresses, then when I ask for
"PASTE" somewhere else nothing happens. For example - picking up an
entire field of some 20 addresses from a previously sent message,
smacking "COPY", then attempting to "PASTE" them into a new message,
not necessarily into the same field.

I am not using the "CONTACTS" facility, because in past attempts I have
found it to be significantly inadequate in some respects like the
inability to sort a contact list alphabetically. And I've yet to
discover how to import a CSV file of email addresses into the
"CONTACTS" section. If I could just do that one thing it would go a
long way towards solving my problems.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Brewster