Re: [Evolution] Apply the same view settings to all folders (was: Re: fixed not a bug thank you Re: Bug in Evolution ver. 3.18.5.2)

On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 09:48 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Is just flipping the setting in preferences OK, or do you have to
apply it between each flip?

        Hi,
just flipping it is enough. There is no Apply button or anything like
that, as soon as you change the value it's "written to the disk".

Does that mean that it will change to 'on' and I will loose all the
views I've set up?

No no, definitely not, when you change the value back to 'off' it'll
use the previous settings again. Nothing is delete with that option
change.

Is there a gsettings command that would force the setting to 'off' so
it's not altered when I upgrade?

   $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.mail global-view-setting
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail global-view-setting false

Or even a command to see what the setting is (i.e. is it set to
'default' or set to 'off')?

Hmm, that is tricky. The dconf-editor can show you whether you've the
value changed or whether you use the default value (changed keys are
shown in bold, if I recall correctly, but when you select the option
then there is a switch named "Use default value"). The GSettings has:
   $ gsetting reset ...
for the opposite operation, to unset the value to its default from the
schema, but I do not see there anything which would tell me whether the
stored value comes from the scheme or from user preferences. Neither I
see any such function in GSettings API itself (otherwise I'd provide a
migration code which would avoid all of this).

Maybe this feature to use default value until the key is changed is not
from GSettings, but from DConf instead.

        Hope it helps,
        Milan