Re: [Evolution] Mail server doesn't show up

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail server doesn't show up
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 11:17:20 +0100

The gmail account is imap.  It works.  The setup wizard chose pop3
for
the yahoo account.  I pushed the button to check for authentication,
and
it didn't respond.  So I tried imap (and changed the server address
imap.yahoo.com) and it responded quickly.  But the account still
didn't
appear in the left panel.

When I push the button to send queued mail and refresh inboxes, it
shows
both the yahoo and gmail accounts in the progress window.

POP accounts don't have their own entry in the side bar. POP as a
protocol sucks mail from a server and the mail actually resides on
your
local machine - with IMAP the mail stays on the server.  Consequently
POP account (in fact all POP accounts) mail is in the "On This
Computer" folders.

As for changing the server type - it usually doesn't work well once
things are setup. Try deleting the account and starting again.  You
might do well to shutdown Evolution to let things catch up - you may
have to go further (like logging out) since there are some background
processes that may need to re-read the configuration.

I think the evolution version is fairly old -- it's whatever is
bundled
with Scientific Linux 6.9.

Unfortunately there are so many different Linux versions and distros
out there that giving the distro info doesn't mean much to most
people.

P.

Actually reading the above made me double check the account types and
actually I lied, the account that is missing is a POP3 account (I had
it set up as IMAP originally when it was under Windows 10 and when I
switched to Linux Mint I must have selected POP3) so that would explain
why I can't see it, as under Outlook on Windows, the account does have
its own tree in the left-hand panel. I hadn't realised what the purpose
of "On This Computer" was. Outlook creates a tree for the pop3 account
as well as having "Personal Folders" which I assume is the same as "On
This PC".

How does this work if you have multiple POP3 accounts do they all
appear as one amorphous mass in "On This PC"? I would think it makes
more sense for Evo to do it the same as Outlook as it's less confusing?

Siv