Re: [Evolution] Some keys not enterable in search?

Le 2018-01-01 à 23:46, andré a écrit :
Le 2018-01-01 à 22:15, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Tue, 2018-01-02 at 03:53 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
Sometimes distros even don't provide bug fixes and even not security
upgrades, see the policy for the official Ubuntu "universe" repository,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories#Universe .

PS:

IOW assuming the coders of Evolution would "support" an outdated version
of Evolution, it not necessarily would make it into a distro's
repository. Let alone that bug fixes not necessarily could be applied by
a patch to software such as Evolution. A bug fix might require a more
recent version of a dependency. The crux of the matter is, that
Evolution is closely linked with GNOME.

Good points.  I'm lucky enough to use a distro that has a good record of security & bug fixes.  (Mostly due to a few vigilent contributors.)
As well, they deliberately chose to NOT have unsupported repos.

Btw. take a look at https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak or
since the OP is an Ubuntu user, see https://docs.snapcraft.io/build-snaps/ .
I will not comment on flatpak and snappy.

Flatpak is a great idea, a sandboxed version of Evolution.
Recently I started using another app which uses AppImage for the same thing.  Makes it a lot easier to resolve issues or make a better bug report. Since Evolution is so closely linked with Gnome, it is not perfect, but it would cover a lot of problems.

But I hadn't noticed anyone being asked to test with a flatpack version ...

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the link I followed seems to say that users must create a flatpak version of Evolution themselves. It probably would be better if for every new release, a flatpak version is created. Thus to test, the user with the problem just has to download the flatpak version, and has no need to compile.
Some users might not have the resources (or patience) to readily compile.

--
André