Re: [Evolution] Creating calendar events from the command line

On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 18:56 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

Pidgin already depends on eds, if it would be easier, then write the
evolution module in the Pidgin code base.

The main question is what you'd like to achieve. Either you want to
give users a chance to edit what they schedule with, including
attendees and such, or you want to create a meeting request and send it
using their mail application. The later can be done just by issuing
mailto: with referenced attachment, which would be the preconfigured
iCalendar object. The former, well, you would still prefer to create
the iCalendar, which you'd be able to pass to an ECompEditorEvent
instance where your users can do the modifications, pick correct
calendar and so on.

Obviously I'd like to do whatever's most useful in the general case.
For my specific needs, I definitely need the editor. All I really get
from the Pidgin side is the meeting dialin information (and passcode),
and an email address or two that need to be included in the invitees.

So we cut and paste the dialin info into the body of the invite, then
the rest of it is using Evolution's Free/Busy lookup, addressbook
autocompletion, etc.

When the IM/meeting system receives the invitation (because you added
its special address to the invitees) it learns the time / subject /
etc. that you chose and sets up the conference bridge with those
details.

So for my purposes I really do want to pop up the meeting *editor* with
just an invitee or two and the invite body populated. That's more of an
Evolution thing than an EDS thing, which means I don't necessarily
already have anything in Pidgin to support it.

I can help you with some basics on the evolution side, if you want to.
I'd rather do it out of the list, can be even in bugzilla with a link
to it here, thus anyone interested can follow it or check it later.

Thanks. The idea was to get an idea of which RFE to file in bugzilla,
but I think it becomes "pass a partial iCal event to seed a new
ECompEditorEvent instance". https://bugzilla.gnome.org/787418