Re: [Evolution] Cannot retrieve mail from POP server

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 17:01 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
Frequently after not using Evolution for a while attempts to retrieve
email from my POP server fail.  Presumably there are too many
messages for the interface to deal with.  There is a long delay while
Evolution is concluding that it truly cannot reach the server, then
the message:
Error while Fetching mail from “jonrysh pacbell net”.
Cannot get POP summary: Broken pipe

It's been talked about before on this list - searching the archives
comes up with a long thread starting here(ish):

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-February/msg00053.html

Amongst many other such threads.

I think there was something strange in how Yahoo! (and consequently
people like AT&T) setup their POP server. A solution seems to be to
"Disable support for all POP3 extensions" in the receiving options for
that account in Evolution.

If that doesn't work for you, then you need to run Evolution from the
command line to see what's timing out and if that doesn't give you much
info, then run it with POP3 debugging turned on and that should tell
you at which stage it's having problems.

P.