[Evolution] Sorting issue?

I have Evolution set to sort first by status (ascending) then by date (descending).

This should have unread mail at the top, then mail in the order it was received flowing from there.

What I get is : 4 of my 5 unread at the top, some of today's mail, NOTHING from yesterday,  all mail from Wednesday (it's Friday morning as I'm writing this where I am), some from Tuesday  back to last Friday , MOST email in the correct order back to the start of the inbox (November 2016), stuff from "yesterday" (which did come in yesterday, less than 24 hours ago), the rest of today's, then some from Tue, Mon, Sun, some from November, then the rest in correct order back to the start of the inbox, including one marked as Unread from June this year.

Date header is set to "locale default", and under Calendar it's set to use the system time zone which is correctly identified.

With Thunderbird (annoying in many other ways) to set this up I click on the date field then the status field, and these 2 clicks (actually may be twice each) sets TB so that it happily first displays undread messages then stuff in order back to the oldest message.

This is making messages quite hard to find, especially if I see something come in, click on it, see something else I want to deal with first and click to another message. I have set "mark as read" at 5 seconds to help mitigate this, but I shouldn't need to as sorting by date should be a reliable process in this day.

Any suggestions for where to look? Ev 3.10.4 which is the current system one.