Re: [Evolution] Could not open the link

Yesterday I decided to install Firefox Quantum. In the process of doing
so, I deleted Firefox-ESR. My default browser is still Vivaldi. When I
click on a web link from within an Evolution email message, An error
window pops up: "Could not open the link. Failed to change to directory
'/opt/firefox/firefox'(Not a directory).

Evolution is a Gnome application. You need to make sure that the
underlying Gnome system knows what your preferred application is (even
if you are using a non-Gnome desktop).

Firefox sits if /opt/firefox (not /opt/firefox/firefox). Besides, I'd
rather use Vivaldi anyway... I just tried the new version of Firefox
because I thought that it might be lighter and faster than Vivaldi (it
isn't).

The error from firefox is because the firefox.desktop launcher is
misconfigured.

I have tried reinstalling Evolution, but that didn't help.

It very, very rarely does on Linux. And even more so in this case
because it's not a Evolution problem.

So, how do I get Evolution to open a web page when I click on the email
link?

There's lots of hits on how to do it on the web, in Gnome help, even in
the Evolution internal help.

Try here:

 https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/net-default-browser

or if you are feeling brave you can see what the current settings are
using

 gvfs-mime --query x-scheme-handler/http

or for newer systems

 gio mime x-scheme-handler/http

from that you should be able to see the available handlers. You set it
to what you want with

 gio mime x-scheme-handler/http vivaldi.desktop

(or whatever the vivaldi launcher is called).

P.