Re: [Evolution] upgrade woes Part Deux

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 00:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
If your system erroneously reports the connection status to Evolution
it will go off-line - other applications that don't need to monitor the
network status will keep on working.

The bottom line is that there is something wrong/different/non-standard
with your network configuration such that the network monitoring
function Evo uses (GNetworkMonitor I believe) is reporting the wrong
status.

In fact I think the reference I posted is the current version of
something I wrote for the FAQ (which seems to have vanished), but has
been "simplified". The original version was more explicit: check if
you're running NetworkManager. If you are, then Evo will believe what
it says, even if it's wrong. Sometimes NM needs to be configured to
manage the actual network interface you're using, as for some reason it
hasn't figured it out by default. As NM is (or was when I wrote this)
fairly new, one could have a system with the network functioning
correctly but that NM wasn't actually managing even though it was
running. NM would then tell Evo it was offline. Clear?

The solution is either a) kill NM and don't use it for anything
(probably a bad idea), or b) configure it properly so it knows about
your interface(s). That way it will correctly tell Evo when the network
is up.

poc