Re: [Evolution] can't change any preference setting

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 23:06:22 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
I think what I was trying to get across is that the answer you give is
findable on the net

Ok, now I understand your concern. OTOH regular users on multi-user
systems shouldn't be allowed to get root privileges, this way the
owner and group of the dconf file already can't change to root in the
first place. Let alone that since there is the risk that the dconf
file could change the owner and group, usually when running a gnomeish
editor gedit, pluma etc. with root privileges, it at least should be
disabled to run such software with root privilges or it simply shouldn't
change file permissions. There's something fishy with the dconf design.
It works well for Evolution, since nobody would run Evolution as user
and sometimes with root privileges, but there are valid reasons to e.g.
run an editor sometimes with user and sometimes with root privileges.
The underlying issue might be caused by the way system variables are
handled, OTOH when I tested to change the ownership e.g. by running
pluma and gedit after a su on Arch Linux [1] and changing some
pluma and gedit settings, dconf kept the correct owner and group.
Actually I don't know how to enforce a change of owner and group
for /run/user/1???/dconf/user, let alone how to do this
for ~/.cache/dconf/user and ~/.config/dconf/user .

[1]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ su
Password:
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# echo $USER $HOME