Re: [Evolution] Improvements since version 3.18

On 12 June 2017 at 09:39, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
Otherwise dependencies are not that
big issue, because they didn't change significantly for years (it's a
dependency issue from the other side/up-side-down).

So far this has always been an issue for me. I am using Oracle Linux,
which is a fork of RHEL.
The evolution version shipped with my distribution had some serious
gtk-related issues, so I tried to backport the latest-possible
evolution version.
I ended up with evolution 3.20, which is still fairly old.

Here's some examples of related package versions on my box:

gnome-shell-3.14.4-53.el7.x86_64
webkitgtk3-devel-2.4.9-6.el7.x86_64
gtk3-devel-3.14.13-20.el7_3.1.x86_64

I would not mind backporting some referenced libraries, build tools
etc., but dependencies of the newer evolution version went deep into
gnome, so that I would have had to use entirely my own gnome
installation which I did not want (since this usually creates lots of
issues and conflicts with other packages).

I usually use the .src.rpm files for Fedora that I get on rpmfind.net
as a basis, and I may have to adapt this and that. Maybe the
dependencies listed there are not what is actually really needed?

I would really like to have an up-to-date evolution version, but so
far this has been pretty much out of reach for me.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Dietze