Re: [Evolution] How to edit list of applications to open attachments

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 07:05 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.

I have the same problem.

Does the file /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop (or wherever
your distribution puts .desktop files) actually exist on your
machine?

ll /usr/share/kde4/apps/kappfinder/apps/Multimedia/mplayer.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5391 Oct  2 2009 /usr/share/kde4/apps/kappfinder/apps/Multimedia/mplayer.desktop

so I can't edit it.

After 47 lines of GenericName[*]= with UTF-8 names:

Exec=gmplayer %U
Icon=video
MimeType=video/x-ms-asf;video/mpeg;video/quicktime;video/x-flic;video/x-msvideo;

gmplayer is a soft link to mplayer.

Notice that video/mp4 isn't in the MimeType list.  Does KDE care?  Does
Evolution care?

After about 47 more lines of Name[*]= with UTF-8 names

Type=Application
X-KDE-Protocols=http

Better - what is the default handler for the MIME-type of the
attachment?

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default video/mp4

mplayer

If you save the attachment and attempt to open it from the command
line, what happens?

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-open ./Videos/VID_20160903_224422774.mp4

It opens with mplayer.

What is the MIME-type of the attachment?  Perhaps the sender is
messing up the attachment?

video/mp4

I doubt that every sender is messing up every mp4 attachment.

The Evolution I'm using is an antique: 2.34.3.  My KDE is 4.3.4.  Those
are what's supplied with Scientific Linux 6.9.  I'm not trusted with the
root password for my computer until I take six months of cyber-security
training (our organization gets about a million break-in attempts per
day).  That's not included in my work authorization memo.  So I can't
install anything newer.  My SA is negotiating with the powers-that-be to
install Scientific Linux 7.3.  When I ask him how to change file
association settings he refers me to the Gnome control center.  There's
no file associations widget, perhaps because gvfs-mime isn't installed,
and it isn't available from any Scientific Linux repository so my SA
can't install it.  There's a file associations widget in the KDE
settings panel, and it apparently has convinced xdg-mime that
video/mp4's app is mplayer.