Re: [Evolution] How to edit list of applications to open attachments

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 07:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Take a look at xdg-mime (it should have a man page).  XDG is what lies
beneath both KDE and GNOME [in GNOME's case you'd use gvfs-mime to
call
xdg-mime].

Something like -

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
evince.desktop

$ xdb-mime query default video/mp4
mplayer.desktop

But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.

Maybe the problem is that I'm using evolution 2.32.3.  I'm not allowed
to have the root password for my computer without taking about six
months' of cyber-security training, so I can't update it.

I've tried installing applications in my own account, but usually run
afoul of version conflicts that require essentially installing all
of /lib and /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib in my own account.  Then the SA
gets angry at me for using up too much file space in the server.