Re: [Evolution] Long reply time - webkit hogs CPU

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-08-11 at 17:04 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> Hitting reply to emails that are html formatted takes several seconds
> (up to 30 on long emails!!!) before I can reply.

        Hi,
is evolution frozen during that time, or it's a WebKitWebProcess being
busy with anything? Evolution 3.22.x uses webkitgtk4. There used to be
an issue with hyphenation in webkitgtk4, but I think you have that fix
included (though I do not know it for sure). There was an issue with
spell checking too

o  Evolution is not frozen
o  The Webkit Process is a CPU hog during this wait - it is clearly not optimized for multi-core - it only hogs a single CPU core (on this email for ~25 seconds)..

greg     21209 44.5  0.3 2304024 108888 tty2   Sl+  10:30   0:14 /usr/libexec/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess 55

is the culprit...

o  The timeout before typing catches up is directly dependent on how large the html email I am replying to it

If it doesn't do anything, neither CPU has higher usage, then the 30
seconds can be a timeout on D-Bus. Try running evolution from a
terminal, it may show something useful there.

Having a backtrace of evolution, eventually of the busy/frozen
WebKitWebProcess, would help.

I am going to install F26 tonight (probably).  If it still persists, I will install the debug symbols and get a backtrace of it.

Note that there are always two WebKitWebProcess-es tight to evolution,
one is for the message preview, one for message composers.
The interesting one might be the later.

I would try it with your test message, but it seems you already removed
it (the link returns Forbidden).

Sorry - when evolution saved it out, it made it 600 - I just fixed that.  That particular message takes ~25 seconds before typing catches up.  It is a very large html email.

Thanks for looking into this.  I'll post back after my upgrade.

-Greg

        Bye,
        Milan