Re: [Evolution] Signature placed in wrong position

On Sat, 2016-10-01 at 18:31 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
In 3.20.5 and at least several earlier versions, signature on newly
composed e-mails goes (apparently automatically) end.  If you are
replying to an e-mail, evolution seems to want to put it at the
bottom of the original e-mail, instead of at the end of my reply
text.  Numerous, numerous times a day I have to cut out my
signature and place it where I want to.

Ah yes Dr Lauterbach, that would be a rehash of the thread starting at

 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2016-July/msg00072.html

 When I first complained about this, the gurus on this list wrote
back that it had to do with the way some mail servers handle
signature.  I have had my replies with my signature attached where
I want it go through several big organization e-mail servers
without a problem.

And you were told by "the gurus" that it is nothing to do with servers,
it's a function of the user's mail program - the MUA. Please don't
misrepresent what people say.

 Quite frankly, I want the signature where I want it and only where
I want it.

So, did you read all the emails in the previous thread?  A "signature"
in the context of email has a very specific meaning - it's a block of
information containing contact details, most of which is disposable and
so the convention is that anything after the "-- " can be removed. It's
all defined in the relevant RFCs. The option to put the signature above
quoted text is a perversion that people who are used to Outlook wanted.

What you want is a salutation - try saving what you want it to say in a
file and then Insert -> Text file in the composer. You can even insert
an HTML file (since you seem to insist on posting in HTML).

Perhaps a better enhancement, rather than trying to pervert signatures,
is the ability to insert stock phrases and text blocks in the composer.

P.