[Evolution] syncing Gmail contacts

I am using Evolution 3.12.9 on Debian Jessie. I have set up Gmail using
Evolution, not Gnome Online Accounts (I am using the XFCE desktop).

Mail and calendar work fine, but I can't sync my Google contacts. I get
a message saying Evolution can't open this address book, because of an
invalid URI or unavailable server, resource not found,
https://developers.google.com/accounts/docs/AuthForInstalledApps (this
is my translation of the Dutch message).

When I go to this google url, it says:
Important: ClientLogin has been officially deprecated since April 20,
2012 and is now no longer available. Requests to ClientLogin will fail
with a HTTP 404 response. We encourage you to migrate to OAuth 2.0 as
soon as possible.

I assume that this issue was fixed in later versions of Evolution. When
I was using Evo 3.22.x on Debian Stretch (testing version) I could sync
my Gmail contacts in Evolution.

Since Evolution is not in Debian backports, does this mean that I can't
sync my Gmail contacts while I am using the current stable Debian
release Jessie without installing a newer version of Evolution from
outside the official Debian repositories?

Regards,
Bart